Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My Summer Experiment

So, I have a new summer hobby.  It is really experimental because it involves growing things.  Typically, plants and I do not get along.  I tend to over- or under-water them until they die.  : (

But my in-laws told me about a free gardening class this spring.  So I went.  I missed the first lecture (out of 6), but got the notes from my very nice in-laws.  After the next 5 classes I got motivated.  So I'm starting a garden.

Robert has been incredibly supportive, especially when I got discouraged.  He, almost single-handedly: cut down trees that were shading the garden (which my parents had been talking about getting rid of for years) , chipped the wood from the tree (to use as compost and/or mulch), tilled the area 4 times with the tiller we borrowed from a friend (1st and 2nd times to get rid of the weeds and break up the area, 3rd time with compost and wood chips to improve the soil texture, and 4th with peat moss (again for soil texture and to improve the pH) and fertilizer.  That was no easy task.  What an awesome husband!

My dad then got his tiller fixed and tilled in some more peat moss and compost.  So, hopefully my garden is in good shape.

Well here are some photos to record my progress.
 See that patch of grass on the left?  That is going to be my garden.
 Robert the super-husband chipping wood.
The garden after Robert roto-tilled it four times.
My little nursery of plants I kept inside before I could plant them: strawberries, zucchini, summer squash, Robert's pumpkins, and 4 varieties of tomatoes.  

Really, this is an ambitious undertaking for me.  Like I said, after the gardening class I was motivated.  Of course, with this much work everyone has added their two cents and I am going to grow many more plants than I originally planned.  Here is what I am planning on planting: 2 Beefsteak tomatoes, 2 Jetsetter tomatoes, 3 Miroma tomatoes, 3 "Sugary" grape tomatoes, 2 yellow squash, 2 zucchini squash, Robert's 3-4 pumpkins (Atlantic Giant and Big Maxx), 1 King Arthur bell pepper, 2 Karma bell pepper, 6 strawberries, basil, chives, parsley, cilantro, and I'm considering putting in some cucumber plant(s).  If you couldn't tell, I come from a family that really LOVES fresh, homegrown tomatoes.  This is one HUGE experiment.  I'll try to keep posting about my progress - or failures.  It's going to be a good learning experience, no matter what. : ) 

2 comments:

  1. Hooray!! That is awesome! I can't wait to start our own garden when we have a house- and not a rental. Nothing really grew that well in Oklahoma- so I'm glad to live somewhere that things will grow- and for you too! I do not have a green thumb and I worked in a greenhouse for two years! yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! Was it Gordon Well's class? Someone told me about it this year too and I really wanted to go but it didn't really jive with my work schedule so I bought the book instead. I'm also trying a garden this year though I got a much later start and have not been quite so ambitious. Hopefully it will work out. Let me know if you discover any useful tips!

    ReplyDelete